mardi 19 décembre 2017

Bare bones, just published poems of Norton Hodges

THE BOOK
General Gordon, the hero of Khartoum,
gave a bible to my adoring grandfather,
waiting at the foot of the plank.

I imagine that Holy Book with its black
leather burden passed down
and ending up with me, the first-born.

By that time its message had long been
digested, smoothed by time :
Strive, Suffer, Go Beyond.

I gave up my youth and middle age
to that philosophy of rape and pillage ;
many times I bled from His crown of thorns.

Lucky now to be among the walking wounded,
I chuck the evil book away,
having decided to live outside history. 

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

Si le poète décide de vivre en dehors de l’histoire, son lecteur ne peut-vivre ni en dehors de sa poésie, ni loin de son histoire (celle du poète), ni, surtout, séparé de sa grâce ; et Athanase Vantchev de Thracy en sait quelque chose lorsque, faisant l’éloge du poète, dans cette magnifique élégie sur John Keats, qu’il dédiera à son ami Norton Hodges, il écrira :
« Et vous, fleurs ruisselantes et herbes grasses,
Rappelez sans cesse aux hommes mortels
La grâce vivifiante de son verbe délicat »
(The Death of John Keats)